The almost 47,000 nonprofits in america devoted to girls and ladies acquired a collective $7.1 billion in charitable contributions from people, foundations and firms throughout 2017, or 1.6% of general giving. Philanthropic help for ladies’s and ladies’ organizations grew 36.4% from 2012 to 2017, on par with different charitable organizations, however sure kinds of organizations — together with these centered on reproductive rights and household and gender-based violence — skilled outsized progress.
These are among the many findings in a brand new examine “The Girls & Ladies Index (WGI) 2020: Measuring Giving to Girls’s and Ladies’ Causes,” from the Girls’s Philanthropy Institute on the Lilly Household Faculty of Philanthropy. This 12 months’s report gives the primary multi-year take a look at how philanthropic help for ladies’s and ladies’ organizations has modified lately.
“Whereas girls’s and ladies’ organizations noticed regular progress in philanthropic help from 2012 to 2017, contributions to those organizations proceed to comprise a comparatively small share of general charitable giving. For any group or donor invested in girls and ladies, the WGI supplies highly effective empirical information and tales of progress and challenges that may assist the sector work collectively to handle gaps in funding,” mentioned Debra Mesch, Ph.D., Professor of Philanthropic Research and Eileen Lamb O’Gara Chair in Girls’s Philanthropy on the Indiana College Lilly Household Faculty of Philanthropy.
The report contains information from 4 kinds of girls’s and ladies’ organizations, together with Ladies Who Code, NARAL Professional-Alternative America, She’s the First, and YWCA USA. It additionally supplies a primary take a look at authorities grants to girls’s and ladies’ causes, indicating that authorities funding has been an vital income for some WGI organizations.
“The COVID-19 pandemic has disproportionately affected girls and notably girls of shade. In mild of this, girls’s and ladies’ causes — notably these addressing the intersection of race, gender and different areas of inequality — will want extra sources. The WGI’s insights can kick-start dialogue and motion to generate philanthropic help for these important organizations,” mentioned Jeannie Sager, director of the Girls’s Philanthropy Institute.
Key findings embrace:
- Philanthropic help for organizations devoted to girls and ladies elevated by 36.4% — much like the speed of progress in philanthropic help for different charitable organizations — from 2012 to 2017. Development in philanthropic help for ladies’s and ladies’ organizations was particularly robust in 2017 (9.4%).
- Whereas philanthropic help for ladies’s and ladies’ organizations elevated throughout the board from 2012 to 2017, explicit kinds of organizations — comparable to these centered on reproductive well being and household and gender-based violence — noticed particularly robust progress. Help for reproductive rights organizations elevated 85.2% from 2012 to 2017, and 33.7% in 2017 alone— greater than triple the speed of different WGI organizations (9.4%).
- Authorities grants to girls’s and ladies’ organizations elevated by 34.4% from 2012 to 2017, considerably greater than the 14.6% fee of progress in authorities grants to different charitable organizations. Different monetary measures like income, property, and bills grew extra slowly for ladies’s and ladies’ organizations throughout this time.
- Philanthropic help for ladies’s and ladies’ organizations reached $7.1 billion in 2017, however nonetheless represents a small share of general charitable giving (1.6%). Girls’s and ladies’ organizations make up 3.4% of all charitable organizations.
- Though the composition of ladies’s and ladies’ organizations primarily based on nonprofit subsector and mission focus largely held regular in 2017, organizations devoted to basic and reproductive well being acquired an elevated share of philanthropic help.