The Charity Fee has disqualified the founding father of Kenya Neighborhood Help Community (KCSN) after discovering he used the charity to supply important monetary advantages to him and his household.
The charity has been dissolved and all trustees discovered chargeable for misconduct and mismanagement for his or her half in permitting Mr Samson Ochieng, the charity’s founder, to misuse the charity.
KCSN had charitable objects that included relieving poverty amongst Kenyans within the UK and in Kenya.
The Fee grew to become concerned with the charity in 2016 after Comedian Aid suspended its grants to KCSN following considerations the charity was getting used for private monetary acquire.
The Fee opened a statutory inquiry in 2018, discovering that Mr Ochieng had been in efficient management of the charity since he based it and that the trustees had not correctly exercised their authorized duties and duties below charity regulation. This had resulted in:
- £39,500 paid direct to the founder and his household with out ample record-keeping to justify the funds
- a member of the family of the founder being appointed with out an open recruitment course of as a paid marketing consultant to the charity
- the charity finishing up advertising and marketing actions on behalf of Kenyan industrial corporations within the UK, an exercise which was outdoors of the charity’s objects.
Tim Hopkins, Assistant Director of Investigations and Inquiries on the Charity Fee, stated:
Good governance is just not a bureaucratic element, it’s important in making certain a charity delivers on its charitable function and isn’t uncovered to pointless danger.
The trustees of Kenya Neighborhood Help Community failed to supply this and as an alternative, by means of their lack of oversight, enabled critical misconduct and mismanagement to happen. Our inquiry has rightly uncovered the failures of this charity’s trustees and Mr Ochieng for his misuse of the charity and he has now been disqualified from serving as a trustee for his conduct.
The Fee’s statutory inquiry opened on 22 January 2018 and concluded with the publication of the report.
Notes to Editors:
- The charity was faraway from the charity register on 2 November 2020.
- Mr Ochieng was disqualified for 8 years from performing as a trustee or holding a senior place at a charity on 20 March 2020.
- The Charity Fee is the unbiased, non-ministerial authorities division that registers and regulates charities in England and Wales. Its function is to make sure charity can thrive and encourage belief so that folks can enhance lives and strengthen society.